Viva GT: update for this week gone
There are not a lot of images of anything new this week, much of the week was taken up with reworking things I had only put together loosely / badly. Endless undoing nuts and bolts cleaning them, dabbing with some Loctite, then doing back up, have taken at least two or three days.
I have however managed to tick off loads of jobs on the wall, including a new speedo cable, which I had custom made to suit a GT speedo and a W58 gearbox. I had obtained a late Lotus Excel one which was the right length, had the right end at the gearbox, the right inner, but alas the wrong fitment at the speedo. It was used as a template this morning when the new cable was made and collected £21! and it’s now fitted perfectly. Cheers for the chaps in Nottingham at Speedograph Richfield. So the dash is all back in, and I have no reason now to remove it again.
I have started on the carpets, but left them loose, as the seat mounts are now the next big job. Till those nice seats are in the car I cannot finish the fitting of the carpets. The seat mounts are going to take a bit of a logistical game of backgammon, moving the car to a friends garage, whilst he moves his car to mine. I am still to organise it all, but I am keen to get this done ASAP.
So engine wise, I now have oil in the engine! only 4 litres at the minute and its showing full on the dip stick. Once I spin it over on the starter (with the plugs out) for a few seconds, I should find room for at least 1.5 – 2 ltr’s more oil. The stock capacity is 6.3 (dry) I know this is a dry engine but I have removed some capacity from the sump to make it fit into the car(say 500ml). On the positive side the oil cooler (nor its hoses) are yet to be primed, along with the engine oil galleries, that should all soak up the missing oil.
There are solutions for the outstanding hoses, hopefully due tomorrow in the post. I might be at the stage by the end of the weekend, where the brakes and clutch are bled, coolant is in the radiator and oil has been circulated around the engine.
The list of checks is endless, some front suspension work is required, otherwise I am near the point of running and moving! I will leave you with the engine bay as it stands this afternoon. Air box and hoses missing, otherwise 99% complete at last!