Viva GT: seatbelt and door lock
Okay so yesterday I said things were not going right. Thats true and I also said I was stopping for a bit to recoup. Today is one of those days in the week when I tend to get up late fester around a bit and it gave me time to think. I have come up with a solution to the seat belts attempts at cutting my head off when used.
Quick recap, the top seatbelt mount in a Mk1 Viva HB is in the roof not on the B pillar, which means it’s very high. Old school cars may or may not of had seat belts fitted and at the time of sale it was not the law that one had to wear them, so the whole seatbelt thing was an obvious after thought. Also at the time static belts would have been the norm, and indeed this had static belts fitted. These belts may have been worn loose so one can reach switches etc. So the neck issue possibly wasn’t ever an issue. I like to wear a seatbelt, I am not one of those who things it cool to not wear a belt.
The solution I have is to use a lowering bracket for the top mount, it may need a small amount of modification (a bend to make it drop down vertically).
In other news, yet another job I had tackled at least twice before I have tackled again. The control bar for the drivers door lock was broken on the car when I first got it, I had it repaired but it broke again, I managed to get another (albeit a wee bit too long) fitted that and thought I was fine.
The other day when sat in the car and closed the door on myself (for the first time) I realised it was too long as I could Lock and Unlock the door but not open it, as the leaver was pushed up against the end of the overlong rod. In a Viva one pushed it one way to lock, pulls it to unlock and carries on pulling to open.
Today I took the plunge and stripped the drivers door down yet again, removed the control bar, and compared it closely to the old bar. It seems I wouldn’t be able to shorten it without breaking the way it works. the only fix is to repair the original rod for a second time. I decided to sacrifice the longer rod and cut out of it the wire bar at the end (thats welded on) so I could weld that to the original control bar. Some Dremel actions to clean it all up then a trip down to Scott’s to borrow his welder and its attached. The Pigeons would be proud of me (no pictures cause its bad).
Several hours later and the door is all back together. I can lock / unlock with the key on the outside as well as open and close the door. I can open and close the door from the inside but not lock the door. The remote lock (part of the Alarm) will remotely unlock but not lock the door. so I have one outstanding issue to resolve, the control bar will not lock the door from the inside handle or the remote servo.
Both the inner handle and servo pull on the bar, so I know it’s about the adjustment on the servo position in the door (or how its clamped to the control rod). Its a nightmare to adjust, basically strip the door down, make a single mm adjustment, rebuild the door and try again. Ive done this 4 times already today, so now I rest for the day, Tomorrow I will have another go after work to get things just right.