Viva GT: Oil time
At last one of the jobs is done that signals the end of some work, adding the actual oil to the axle. This morning I went out to the local motor factors and picked up some axle oil and gearbox oil then shot over to screw-fix to collect an oil change pump.
Having got home and gathered all the bits and bobs together and lowered myself under the car I was meet with a square socket oil bung. This stopped me dead in my tracks, I don’t have such a square socket tool. I got back up and annoyed with myself closed up shop and headed on down to Halfords, £20 later.
So back under the car again and after working out which size square plug it was I opened up the oil filler bung, and started to fill with oil. I used the oil pump I had obtained from screw-fix. Note the oil in the image is for the gearbox, don’t be thinking I was using this in the axle.
I should have then got on with the gearbox oil, but as always I realise that even on axle stands the car still is not very forgiving of a fat bloke trying to wriggle around under it pumping in oil. So thats for another time when I have limbered up more.
I therefore started to look at the throttle pedal and cable attachment, but realised I need to remove the nut I put on the end of the Bias adjuster in the pedal box, as it’s fouling the throttle pedal.
Alas I drilled and added a split pin to this nut on the bias box, when I reassembled it all, so I need to get that split pin out before the nut can come off, I will then get clearance for the throttle pedal.
Again my lack of flexibility has halted me for now. I can feel the split pin, but trying to get pliers on it whilst seeing it if foxing me, I will have a go in the week and get it all sorted.
The throttle pedal and cable are all cut to length. All I need is a cable feral and I should be able to finish this all out and tick it off the list.