Viva GT: oil pressure
It’s another day and yet another problem spotted and cured, I dare say my mobile phone bill is rather high having phoned lots of folks asking them the same question. After having got the same answer from everyone, I hatched a emergency plan.
Having filled the engine with oil some weeks back, but only getting 4 litres in and not the stock 6.3, I knew oil was not getting around the engine as well as it could just n the starter. Spinning it over had seen the oil light go out (instantly, almost too quickly), as pointed out late in the day, it’s more likely a power drain by the starter and not de-illuminating because it has oil pressure. I had also noted the clear plastic oil tube up to the gauge was not priming itself.
I have to admit to being a worry guts about my own abilities and it all got to me this week. I have not been sleeping as well as I normally do, constantly going over every nut and bolt etc of work I have done in my head 24/7. This morning I took the plunge and booked this afternoon off work to prove oil was going around the engine to myself and that my anxiety was unfounded.
First off it was raining (again!) and yes I got soaked to the skin, but in a few hours I had drained and removed the radiator (possibly the tenth time in as many weeks that has happened) removed the fan belt and cam timing belt, so I had clear access to the auxiliary pulley.
Unlike the old cast iron Vauxhall engine, this Lotus engine has a shaft that drives the oil pump directly, and not via the distributor. Thats lucky for me as I have removed mine as its redundant!
Next I found the right sized Allen key to fit the pulley bolt and then cut it down to a few inches long. It was fitted to the my 90 degree angle drive drill and the shaft was spun up (in the correct direction after another frantic internet search).
After 30 or so seconds I had oil spurting out one of the oil sensor holes (having removed the sensor for this visual clue oil is being picked up from the sump). I replaced the sensor and was happy to wipe excess oil from the outer block, as thats proves its working.
I then carried on “drilling” for another minute, quickly stopped, rushed around to the cabin and watched the oil gauge slowly dropping down to zero but it had been above 20psi as I approached the cabin, so must have been higher still when actually drilling.
I felt a huge weight slip off my shoulders, stood in rain soaked to the skin didn’t bother me at all, in fact it stopped raining just as I stopped drilling.
It’s all back together again, and as a result of pushing oil around the engine, the dip stick was now just above the empty. so in went the last of the first 5 litre bottle, and the next 5 litre in in the boot ready with various other lubricants in case they need topping up, and the battery is back on charge.
let’s see what tomorrow brings, but before tomorrow a thank you to the following folks I have pestered and or been told to slow down and relax. Scott, Nick and Martin and to Lotusbits and Toovey engines about methods to prime the oil pump after a build and lay up.