Viva GT: Front seats
As always every time I move the GT it rains or snows, cue the flatbed cue the downpour of rain.
Once the car had been moved to another garage, that is a lot wider than mine, Martin and I were able to look at fitting the front seats. We started with the drivers seat. Without realising at first (easy to see this in retrospect) the seat is height adjustable and was set on the highest setting. We managed to get the seat in and it looked all wrong, I sat in the seat and had my head pushed into the headlining with my neck crooked over to see out. We both sat there for some time debating if these seats would work. moving it back, adjusting the rack etc nothing seemed to work.
We even started to look at Martins MGF seats and abandon the Alfa seats, a cup of tea was required and a consideration of what we had. Martins mantra was “these seats are not going to defeat me”. He’s a top chap for making things work, experience is key? So back to the garage.
Removing the seat from the car, flipping it upside down to look at the framework (to see if it could be removed, and as a result lowered) soon revealed the height adjuster. DOHH! winding it down, putting the seat back in the car and bingo the height was no longer an issue.
Next was position, some of the frame work on the seat needed to be removed, to enable the seat to move more towards the centre line of the car, as the position was crushing me up against the door. I will be honest the car is small and I am a very large person both height and width (call it fat or relaxed muscle up to you), so even in a normal car I look wrong.
Once the seat frame was adjusted, the seat was replaced back in the car again and some test seating was done, we had found the right position for me. With the seat right back just touching the rear seat, I have all the legroom I need and can reach all the controls fine, my arms are just bend slightly when holding the wheel. Perfect considering the size of me. It allows forward movement, height and rake adjustment so even if I shrink all will be fine.
Four new floorpan holes and some 8mm bolts through the existing frame runners, which line up with the flat areas on the floor later and the seat is in place. We will need to turn the car around and tackle the passenger side at some point, but by 8pm we were done for the day with some great success.
The funny part was trying the seat belt, its all too high up and the belt wraps around ones head not over the shoulder, so those are going to have to come out and a differing design thought about. Yet to understand how the Viva seatbelts ever worked in the past, maybe its because I am sat further back, but the top mount is too high up and it needs to come down a fair way to make it work, another challenge obviously.