Viva GT: Brakes and Clutch
Well after a frustratingly hot afternoon with the GT, out of the garage on axle stands, with the wheels off, it was only then possible to get the brakes and the clutch bled. Sounds all simple but not having a 7mm spanner didn’t help (the rear brake bled nipples are french 7mm!!!) Martin I owe you an apology for snapping when you turned up, I was deep in leaking master cylinders and was a bit pissed off. Scott I also owe thanks for giving up his afternoon to encourage me, assist me and assume his normal position of spanner monkey under the car. As alwasy I will be there when the Datsun needs assistance.
After toping up the rear brake pot it was soon apparent fluid was running out into the drivers footwell from the master cylinder. I quick remove the centre consul and dash panel to get back to the master cylinders, which relieved the leaks were around the copper washers, I replaced and doubled them all up and it sealed itself up fine. No more leaks on the rear brakes, lots of rags and brake fluid mopped up.
We re-started the rear brake bled but couldn’t get much fluid to come through, as the bias seemed to be pushing on the front cylinder and not the rear. We swapped over to bled the front brakes and added some fluid to the front pot. Yet again it leaked and I had to replace all the copper washers on the brake outlet pipe to stop the leak.
The clutch master cylinder was fine, no leaks at all, thank god as that one needs the steering column removed to access the banjos!
It was suggested it might be because the banjos were too long, and bottoming out before crushing up against the copper washers? That cannot be the case as these are the same ones used in the same master cylinders in an earlier design (when the filler pots were in the glove box) and it didn’t leak then. The problem was me using the old compressed copper washers. I have a box of new ones now, so swapped them all out, cleaned up the mess and got back to bleeding the brakes. Yet again lessons to be learnt from doing things and thinking it will be fine. Just put new washers in each time and these issues will go away.
The front brakes bled nicely, the clutch was almost instantly sorted, the rears however are working, but not as good as the fronts. For now its ticked off as far as I am concerned, the brakes don’t leak, and two out of three systems are spot on, just the rears to make better. I think thats a job for another time. Once I get a 7mm spanner for the stupid French rear callipers that is!
The wheels went back on the car was returned to the garage the door closed and now I am in the house trying to cool down!
Forward movement again, time is running down and the list is longer now. I have to rebuild the dash again and most fo the front of the engine due to the water pump! hey ho