The good and the bad
Well I did some more to the two engines, both are now fitted with their piston sand all is looking good, I do need to get a better piston ring compressor, mine is cheap and nasty and a ball ache to use sometimes.
In other news I decided to have another play with the carb setup on Marvin, and as always information and people try to help and in this case it was a backwards step not a forwards one…. how very annoying.
In the past the car had been cable operated where it should of be rod controlled as standard, so I converted it to rod control by using old rods from scrapped cars, all good so far.
The carb I was using was in need of a rebuild, I got a carb kit for it and started to rebuild it, however at the same time a friend offered me a brand new Weber carb which I took up.
I fitted all of that last weekend and should of left alone as apart from setting up the carb it was a good layout. The newly fitted Weber carb is jetted for a 1159cc STD engine and not a 1256cc so its not ideal for the car, it will mean the top end would of the engine range would be compromised, but as I am no racer it should be fine.
The old carb which was fitted was ideal for the engine being a 1256cc Side draft stromberg 150cd carb. But it is cable operated not rod controlled, so this morning I changed over all the linkages on the side of the carb to enable it to run via rod control.
I had received in the post the so called correct rod contol arm for this style of carb and felt that I should use the Weber on a smaller engine and use the working known stromberg 150cd on the 1256cc engine in Marvin. So after removing the manifold and carb and fitting the new manifold and carb, re-attaching the servo hose, the fuel line, the vacuum line and the air filter, I went to fit the new Stromberg rod control and found it doesnt fit!
So its bonnet closed and forget it again, I swear this car is defying me now…