Squeak no more
Its done and dusted, the engine is now refitted and back in Mazzo’s Viva. This time no squeaks that don’t go away! Long story for which I will not bore you with, but the original engine went bang on the M40 last year and we replaced it with a recon unit I made some years ago, only to find it was making terrible squeak. The engine was pulled back out and the cam bearing replaced, low and behold we have a small squeak at first start of the engine only to go away after just a minute or two of running, hooray.
So at the start of this morning we pulled back the cover on the car and unloaded all the odds and sods.
We lowered the block into the car and with a good left foot , slotted it home and started bolting things up.
We pushed it onto the four post ramp so we could get access to the clutch cables and lower bell housing bolts, what a difference a ramp makes to things!
Once that was all down it was reassemble the rest of the engine.
Lunchtime came and went, (nice Cornish Pasty followed by a scone and jam, thanks Fred) it was back to the car finishing things off, but 3pm we were running, a small fiddle with the timing and it was running loverly. We have a small issue, one pin got bent on the alternator so it wasn’t charging, so it was removed the pin sorted and refitted. I think the wrong bracket is on the engine (this was a dynamo engine and its now alternator) so the belt dent get tensions fully and it slips under load. Tappets need a play, but on the whole I am happy with the engine.
Thanks to Mazzo for his help putting it back in the car and Fred for the Hoist and workshop space.