New Day new engine
I started another engine today, I had already decided to get a 1057cc engine on the bench. I stripped it today and in the process of stripping noted that the end float on the crank was somewhat excessive to say the least.
HBOL says 0.15mm float so out came the feeler gauges and a whopping 2.1mm of float was found! Now this could just be a bearing gone and or excessive wear on the crank, crossing my fingers I removed the sump, and mains and found this little ditty pretending to be a middle main bearing.
One wing is about 2mm the other is like tin foil!
The engine has already been rebuilt as some point in the past, as its 0.020″ under-size on the mains and big ends and the pistons are 0.040″ over-sized. Good thing is the bores don’t look to bad and a quick hone should sort them. The pistons are nice Hepolite ones, a clean will do them a world of good.
I will drop the block off at the workshop to get new cam bearings fitted, skim the top of the block, hone it and that’s it finished.
The crank I can take out to 0.040″ as I have a set of bearings in the shed that size, I will however need to check what size the maximum float on the crank main bearings is, Otherwise its dump the crank and find another one.
The head has also had some work in the past, it appears its had a good decoke at some point, but I will rebuild it fully once the bottom end is done.
In other news I got donated a bag of valve gear a few months back and was thankful, yesterday when I was clearing the shed out and sorting thing, I finally got around to soring the valve springs out, low and behold these valve springs are the uber rare double valve springs!
Ignore the fluff on the springs its just packing stuff, seems like I now have soem of the parts I need to make a fast engine now, other bits I will still have to source