More steps forward
Today I spent the morning cleaning up a rear boot rubber that I had rescued off an old HB a few years back. Its in rather good condition so on the car it went. Cleaning it using some chemicals did make me smile (fumes I guess) and after masking up around the boot rubber space (so I didn’t splash glue everywhere). The rubber was placed onto the car, with some positioning and repositioning I finally got it into the right place. I have used the boot itself (closed) to hold it in place till it dries. Fingers crossed all is well when I next have a look.
The other jobs of the day have not been a great success. I picked up a few old HB quarter light windows at Billing this year with various clips on them, as I am missing one swivel on the drivers side window at the top. The intentions today was to utilise these spare quarter windows and clips to make up a good set to repair the drivers side quarter window. The resulting set is at best a complete set, but ill fitting, the mechanism is also stiff to open and close. It will all need pulling out, sorting and rebuilding. The drivers side quarter window is fitted into the door already, but it also needs removing from the door as I need to fit the bailey channel. So there is some work to do on the drivers door still. These doors are stretching my ability which I am not comfortable with but sometimes we need stretching.
I also dug out the bonnet release cable I got second hand some years back. The outer cable is covered in rust, nicks and old paint, having spent some time cleaning it up I released it pointless, I will be better off getting a new outer cable, trouble is the inner cable is solid wire with fused on bits each end. I suspect I will need to invest in an after marker bonnet cable and somehow find a way for it to work with the bonnet catch.