I built and engine for Mazzo some years ago. It was fitted to his HC late last year, you can read about that engine swap here. Everything almost went to plan apart form a small high pitched whine from the engine to which we just couldn’t locate. I did promise i would have a look at the engine for Mazzo, so yesterday I pulled the engine out of the car and brought it home to have a good look at. here are some images of Mazzos car and the removal of the engine.
Right today, i unloaded it and got it into the “shed of plenty” and started stripping it down to find out where this whine was coming from. Almost straight away I found the culprit. This engine has a manual timing chain adjuster and its been way over tightened. Easy fix convert it to automatic. But first I need to make sure its has not caused any more damage to the bearings or machined faces. Luckily nothing found.
Everything looks fine, but the block will got away for a damn good clean chemically, and the oil galleries checked. The rest just needs a good wash down (less than 1000 miles on this engine from its first recondition). Then assembly with new gaskets and seals and its ready to refit back into his car.