GT New grey Mk1 headlining
Today I started to fit the headlining to the GT, I had this made a year or so ago, out of the best material I could find which was the same shade as the original headlining. The original material is not available anywhere. This is slightly thicker than normal headlining material but not so thick it cannot stretch or bend around corners.
I huge bag of bulldog clips was ion used up and another box was found which has enabled me to clip the entire roof all around the car. The plan is to leave it a week then re clip to take out the stretch, play with the wrinkles and generally get it better. I will then leave it another week before gluing it in place. Once its in the interior build can begin.
First off in got a couple of sound deadening panels. This stuff will be used on the floor and arches under thew carpets and is fantastic.
I then ready the headlining withe roof bars all zinc plated (so no more rusty headlining) and the middle marked up ready.
In with the headlining and begin the process of clipping it up into location
I spent the best part of an hour; clip, unclipping, stretching, re-clipping, starting again several times over. The images above are form the first clippings. I was tired and didn’t take the last sessions images. Those will come another time when I am back up Retropower to see how the lining is stretching.
I also change the front wheel studs to slightly shorter ones, I had put 55mm studs on the hubs but these were too long so have fitted 45mm ones, which are perfect for the wheel nuts.