GT Fuel injection throttle bodies
Okay so this mornings post was a bit sketchy to say the least, electrical fires and horns aside, I have gone back to the throttle bodies and after some hints and advice from those folks in the Sunbeam lotus owners club / other friends I have removed the studs which were causing issues fitting the bodies.
You know as soon as they were all out it was very simple to line everything up and obvious really. But me liking to sit down and not stoop over a bonnet has now removed the manifold from the car and brought it indoor, along with all the bits for the throttle bodies and have decided to do a dry build from the comfort of a desk and chair.
The first job was to fit the O Rings (not use the weber washers as I had done earlier today, we all learn something new each day). Then mount then onto the manifold, so I could look at the connector bar and see if that was good to go.
Once mounted, the cross bars aligned nice and easy, thank god I don’t have to cut anything. Note The cup is not part of the final layout, its there as I finished drinking its contents and it is just the right height to prop up the set up to the right orientation.
Good old off the shelf parts, the odd washer was missing and some bits don’t fit as expected. The throttle linkage is just such an item. A communication mix up with Lotusbits means I have the wrong linkage assembly, so I have jumped online and ordered another linkage from Jenvey direct (£14 all in).
When discussing the layout differences between a Lotus and a Viva I had said the Viva linkages rotate clockwise under the carb (when stood at the front of the car looking into the engine bay), and if the cable came into the carbs from the back (passenger side) it would require and underslung linkage kit to operate it. So an underslung kit was ordered and supplied. However its a kit that literally lays under the carb and the cable comes out the front towards the cam-belt (possibly through the water pump). Thats no good, so one bracket ordered later and I will have a top mounted kit that will still come out the front but at least it will not direct itself into moving parts, that I can live with.
Last on the “learning” for today is the fuel rail pipe is not pre cut to length, so thats going to be fun cutting that to the correct length with out buggering it up.
So a productive weekend of drilling and tapping a manifold, setting fire (almost) to the car and the need to replace the Horns and indicator stalks!
Could be worse mind, a new facebook friend of mine had to pull his own tooth out the other day whilst on Barra in Scotland miles from anyone, and here I am thinking I need a bracket, perspective is always good.