GT Fuel injection, first moves
Well today was the start of the fuel injection fitting to the GT. This is going to be a lot harder and take longer to finish than I imagined. lots of odd jobs to sort out, so this is just today efforts. I have spent the last week writing down the jobs and after 4 pages I stopped!
First job of the day was to check the engine and give it a few hand turns, I had the engine built 5 years ago, and its not run in anger since it was built. (I really didn’t realise it was 2013!! Time flies). Anyway, first job stick a spanner on the crank and turn it over which to my relief was fine. It was smooth and easy, until that is it got to the compression cycles, by god its got a lot of those compression things, takes a good strong arm to turn it past TDC, lots of hissing from the exhaust. So job done the engine isn’t seized. Irrational but with so long between being built and now, it was always in the back of my mind.
I next had to remove the grill and radiator from the car, so I can get to the front of the engine. One of the jobs I want to do is convert the engine too round tooth pulleys and belt (a better design than the flat teeth on the engine at the minute) this will require some better understanding of the timing positions of the pulleys, as well as the belt tensioner being upgraded to a stronger version.
In the picture one can see on the left the inlet pulley and on the right the exhaust pulley. These pulleys come with timing marks (the little green dots), but this engine has been timed to the new marks, those show the exhaust is opening a lot later, maybe 20 degrees later ? (no wonder it was hard to squish). I have ultimate confidence in The Toovey engine (and the custom cams in it), but I will just check with them before I start to unbolt things.
The belt tensioner has a timing mark added, an alloy bracket, that is also going to cause some issues, as this is where the crank sensor bracket sits. I will need to find a new way to show the timing of the engine once that bracket and sensor are in place. Not only that, but the bottom pulley is coming off and a new one with the trigger wheel mounted to it put back in its place, the timing marks are therefore missing on the new one to match the one on the car. (challenges)
So all the belt swapping has been put to one side till I can find out more about the timing of this engine and the ability to drill the block for the new belt tensioner / crank sensor bracket locations (a whole story I will talk about another time).
I therefore moved onto the fitting the water temperature probe for the ECU, which on this kit normally fits into the back of the head. Space and inability to even drill the head (unless the engine is removed) has presented a small issue, but a new location on the water gallery of the inlet manifold has been selected instead. The carburettors need to come off anyway, so this afternoon I removed the carburettors, and finally the manifold itself. Removal was via 10 cap-head bolts. I think cap-heads look neat but they can cause headaches when there is no space to get an allen key into the bolt in the first place!
So first trip out today was down to the nice chaps at Retropower, to cut down the allen key I had, (I mush get my vice setup and buy a decent hacksaw). So an hour later I was back home and able to remove the two end cap-headed bolts that had stopped me in my tracks. It didn’t take and hour, but one has to have a good walk around and poke the odd car in their workshops.
Next It was research on the internet to ensure I had the correct size Tap (12 x 1.5) and what size drill I needed to use prior to Taping the thread (10.7mm). Alas all I had was a 10mm so that would have to do. the second trip of the day was around to Scotts to use his drill, vice, taping fluid and my Tap (free cuppa coffee as well which is good). Another hour later and I am back home with the sensor now in place in the manifold.
Next to look at was the distributor, easy to remove as its just one bolt. Once that was out in went the machined alloy bung. This kit doesn’t need a distributor it uses a EDIS unit. The distributor was brand new at the time of the engine build and a fully electronic vacuumless unit (which was not cheap) so thats going to go up for sale soon.
So by end of play today I have one or two jobs done, the manifold is refitted. So all is well in the house tonight. Tomorrow I shall look at the bodies and fitting them along with the linkage kit.