Clutch Part 2
Not a fully satisfying day today, I got outside and under the car for 10am, and had the gearbox off for 1pm. which sounds a long time, but its me on my own and I was in no rush to graze my knuckles on sharp things and give yet more blood to Marvin. So it was slow and methodical.
Unlike a HB or HC the clutch is far harder on a HA due to lack of room and the rear axle design. One has to remove the prop-shaft in order to withdraw the gearbox from the engine, but you cannot just undo the prop from the rear axle and drop it off, one has to undo the front spring cross-member and lower that so the prop slips out. There are some difficult bolt heads to get a spanner on, and its under tension so it has to be supported on a jack, so that was another 30 minutes spent laying on the cold tarmac.
Next came the clutch cable, speedo cable and bottom cover plate. As all have been on and off within the last 6 months they were easy. Last was the starter motor and the bolts around the bell housing, which again are real pains as the engine is tight up against the bulkhead, some swearing and a cup of coffee saw them all off and put to one side. last thing is the gearbox cross-member which came off no hassle at all.
I noticed that the lower cover plate was oily, and the bottom of the engine sump was oily, it appears the clutch was oil contaminated from engine oil not gearbox oil, there is a smell difference between the oils and this doesn’t smell of gearbox oil.
It was at this point that the real fun began, the gearbox wouldn’t come off, the tunnel is too small to pull off the box, so with a bit of muscle power it came off, the top of the gearbox has a casting that stops up against the bulkhead and tunnel. So first job, cut that off, so its easier to put the box back on later. See my modification below.
Here is the old clutch, shiny bits not a good sign.
Oily clutch cover:
Right forget the old parts it time to get the new clutch in place after cleaning up the flywheel face, I checked the rear crank oils seal and that is good no oil marks at all, it was only when I looked at the picture below that I think I have found the oil leak? It looks like it could be the rocker cover at the back of the head, and or the head gasket.
So now the new clutch is in place all one has to do is put the gearbox back on. 2 hours later I have given up for the day it will not go back in the tunnel. I need two extra hands. It is almost impossible to lift and balance the top heavy gearbox and force it back into a hole that too small for it. Its been a long day laying on cold tarmac, with gearbox oil dripping on me, so it was a wise choice to stop now rather than start kicking tools around. the car is now covered up and shall have its gearbox re fitted come hell or high water next Saturday with some help.
One last point is the modification I made to the gearbox cross-member, its also my first bit of real welding, so excuse the crap welding, its strong and holds and that is what counts. I have used a Marina gearbox mount as its a lot better design that the HA one, which is no better than a tube of polo’s. But in order to make it fit the cross-member needed to be wider.