Right well after the success of rebuilding Stan (the original orange bike of mine) last week, I took upon myself to start looking at one of the other bikes in the fleet. This is the blue bike I bought a few months ago from a chap in Norfolk.
This is a Blue BSA Ariel 3, with a whole load of modifications (tack ons), I still have to decide if I remove or restore back the missing bits, so it looks like it did in an earlier life. (when it appears to have done a drive through of the Halfords cheap nasty trinket counter).
When I bought the bike it had been sat around for a few years, some of the trim was missing and it needed a full overhaul. The paint is a bit of a miss match in places, but it is a good clean bike sporting the correct reg and engine number to match the stickers and importantly the V5C.
First off I had to strip the back end down to swap the rubber drive belt as this was already split, luckily I had a spare. I have dropped the carb into the ultrasonic cleaner and its now like new, and oiled all the chains.
Boris as bought in 2017:
I removed the exhaust as part of the strip down to get the engine off and replace the drive belt. At this time I noted that the exhaust was heavy and oily. At some point in the future I will need to burn it out as I suspect it is carbon full. I also cleaned up the engine barrel as it was equally carbon full. Removing the barrel had also exposed a broken piston ring. Again I have spares so another set of rings were fitted.
After a wash down of all the oily bits and bobs on the bike and rebuild back up Boris was fitted with new tyres (as the old ones were split and cracked from age). I am testing the bike using some metric tyres, 47 x 305 metric tyres found on eBay, Schwalbe Road Cruiser’s with puncture protect (no less).
So Boris is finished bar, fuel tank and carburettor refit, I am yet to attempt a start on the engine which means I have also yet to test the lights / horn. All things being equal thats will take some time (snow due very soon).