BSA Ariel 3
Yep that right a Moped…. Its a three wheeler and it looked like this when new.
Mine however don’t look anything like this, but its a project to keep me busy in the shed. Yesterday after rescuing it from the garage, where it had been in storage, I got it to a point where it was almost read to start. Today was that day. Nick popped over from Evesham to assist and with ought him a few questions would of gone unanswered.
The original engine was so low on compression that we decided to swap it for the spare engine. Within an hour we had the spare engine mounted on the frame, cleaned and sorted the carburettor out, swapped the exhaust for the spare one as the original was a bit iffy, and we were ready to attempt a start.
In went the drill and boom started straight away. The video is only 5 seconds long, but we didn’t want to gas ourselves out inside the shed. The bottom end sound loose, with some running and oil things should improve.
the original engine shall now be off to mod, more on that another day. The plans for the bike are now to strip it down to bare frame, blast and paint it. My timetable is not firm so I have no idea when I will have this finished, but the sooner its back together, the quicker I can ride it.