BSA Air 3: Frankenair
It’s been way too long since work on this project stopped (Oct 2017), but today like its name sake, it was resurrected, with the general idea of get it finished and out of the workshop.
By the end of play yesterday we had (I say we, Nick does all the hard work I stumble around doing titivation jobs) fitted new wheel and tyres, rebuilt the brakes, laid new brake cables, made then fitted an exhaust, fitted the pedal chain and finally started on the wiring loom.
The bike itself is one of the bikes I collected from Mr Watson back in 2017, it had paperwork but was a wreck. I added a green engine box to conceal the Honda Cub engine (I may paint it, I may not! It was the first one to hand).
The secondary chain, the one on the right in the image below, was shortened, and the pedal chain (hidden from view) was added. Nick has a design in mind for the chain tension adjustment which will need parts obtaining. I cannot say what the parts look like, as all the designs are stored in Nicks head. He also seems to judge size and length by eye and get it right (to within 2mm I might add, when challenged to prove it! Top man). PS I have no idea what Nick is doing in the below picture, I think cutting bits of old exhaust up to make the new exhaust.
Here we see the end result of a lot of cuts bends welds and general making the exhaust pipe fist around all the bits in the way. Its doesn’t leak, that the message to take away, and is in fitting with the “WelderUp” look.
Last is the wiring loom, it was stripped down to the basics, when the various items are located in the engine bay will see it reduce the wired length a lot. Ive chopped the horn and lights out of this, as the old loom already has them and is in place, so we just need a live feed to suit and change the bulbs for 12v. The horn I will talk about another time as I have an idea.
By the time we finished for the day we had the bike almost looking stock and hiding all its dirty secrets. There is much still to do before it’s finished (this stage). I am likely to then strip its right down and start paining / plating things (still un decided but I do like neat and tidy, the whole dirty look however has some appeal)