BSA Air 3: Frankenair updates
So yesterday I spoke about the engine rebuild, well today was another on the spot lets get more done on Frankenair. The plan was to make the fuel tank. That quickly turned into a change of plans which resulted in many other jobs getting started and lots near finished.
First the loom was removed and I did some tidying up and wrapping, some clips are now required to hold the wires out of the way of hot / moving parts.
After this I set about the front handle bars, replacing them with a new set I bought some time ago, but never used. I also replaced the brake leavers with replacements and finally changed out all the cables for new or very good second hand. The old cables were seized and frayed.
At the back end, Nick worked away making the brake light switch, into an engine earth (to cut the engine) and connected this to the newly laid decompression cable. So the engine cut works exactly the same as the original Air 3 decompression system. In that way the controls operate exactly the same as stock.
Some adjustment was required as when the handle pulls (via a twist) the throttle cable, one needs to get full throttle one way and sufficient pull on the spring in the above image to activate the switch (and kill the engine).
Next the choke cable was fitted and after rearranging the position of the handle I am able to get sufficient choke using the stock lever. I don’t get 100% choke (about 75%) from the handle bars, it will do for now. If it’s a problem I am sure we can tackle it another way.
A few test starts ensued to check the kill switch operation, the carb setup, and I am pleased to say its sounds good and has a loverly tick-over.
We didn’t get to the fuel tank as out of chance Nick reminded me of the genny tank and as it was Blue I said sod the designs we had to make a tank lets use that. It needs a little modification to the filler neck, but it’s a lot easier (I think) than making a tank from scratch. Below its just sat in place under the rack. Note the rack has been rotated 180 degrees and the tabs reversed so they point up not down.
Here we see the spare wheel located on top of the rack, leaving room under for the fuel tank. Note the smart metal work Nick performed to make the wheel fit, a lovely curve following the wheel radius.
There are load of other wee jobs done, and lots still to do, but to me it’s so close to a test ride. Cannot Wait. The last image is a gift I got today, superb badge, must make something of this, not sure yet.