Better brake something
Phew, played and played and played with the brakes tonight, should of gone to Luton for the monthly meet, but gave it a miss for RAY.
I have some success to report, not a lot but some. I bled for the fourth time the brake system and nothing better happened, so I had a radical idea of jacking the front of the car up 2 – 3 feet in the air, therefore ensuring without a shadow of a doubt the master cylinder was the highest point on the system and that the front wheel cylinders (top and bottom) were above the hight of the rear wheel cylinders (at the tops) therefore any air should seep to the front of the car?
I then set about pumping the brakes for a while whilst sat in the car for a few minutes (or until my foot said that’s enough). I did hear what appeared to be bubbling on the first two pushes form the master cylinder, I then got out check for any leaks all around, none found. I then used the one man bleed kit which attaches to the bleed nipples and had another go at getting rid of the air in the system.
After I had been all around the car, I tried the brake pedal and it was a lot firmer. In fact I think the air is out of the system, and the first 1/2″ – 3/4″ movement in the pedal before it goes firm can be taken out with shoe adjustment (that’s the hope anyway). Either way its progress and that is good.
My borrowed workshop time is near an end, as the owner is due home any day now, so I spent the last hour moving all my tools back to the shed, sweeping the floor and making sure everything is back where it came from clean and tidy.
I still need a choke cable clip for the carb, and the retro fit the HT lead rubbers that hold the leads in place around the block and down the side of the carb, otherwise everything is done on the engine that I can do, until I hit the road and give the car a try.