1057c engine for Northern Ireland
well started to put it back together today, everything is going to plan apart from I now find I have run out of timing chains and sprockets (oops).
Anyway here is the progress so far, first the crank was fitted, its been reground to plus 10 thou Mains and plus 20 thou Big Ends, the block has been acid cleaned, new core plugs and a re-coat of paint in engine black. I have not torqued anything up yet as I wanted to make sure it all worked and fitted as its should.
From here I got out the pistons that were yesterday put onto a matching set of conrods, these pistons have previously been matched to the bores in the block (the 1057cc engine needed a 40 thou overbore in order to remove the score marks from the old piston rings that had broken up previously).
The it was fit the pistons into the block, obviously in the right bores and the right way around, slip on the Big end bearings and place the end caps onto the pistons.
Once the crank and pistons were in place, the 90 spec camshaft was inserted, its had new camshaft bearings and cap washers. The tappets were all oiled up and the whole assembly is now ready for oil pump and timing chain. Alas today I found I was out of stock of these parts, so its see what I can find from suppliers.
I have the sump to clean up and repaint, a head to find and rebuild, some gaskets to obtain. I am near the end of the stocks of parts I had obtained a number of years ago, I think I have maybe 2 more engines worth of major parts and that’s good as its nearly time for the GT. I shall once finished with this engine be offloading all the left over bearing and pistons sets I have left. I need to stop working on these engines in the next month or so, in order to clear the decks for the GT, expect a load of eBay items going on line in a month or so.
More images of the engine below: