Right well, now the shed has a roof and the workbench is looking lonely, I thought it a good idea to get one of the engines from the garage home and start looking at it. First in the pile was a bare block I got from Telford last month. nothing else other than the block. I think I have plenty of spare parts hanging around so making this up to a full engine will pose no issue I hope?
This afternoon I removed the core plugs (that was no fun) and cleaned out the water jacket, I have still to remove the oil gallery plugs, but I suspect they will need some more muscle than I can muster on my workbench.
The bores only have a light rust and after checking them and what pistons I have in the draws, a plus 0.020″ overbore will be required. I have also removed the old cam bearings and have a new set ready to fit. So first job drop the block off for an overbore to match the pistons, get the oil gallery plugs out and do some serious cleaning. Once that’s done fit new core plugs and cam bearings. Later in the week I shall dig out a crank and some bearings.
This will be a totally standard engine with possible unleaded head, if anyone wants it when its finished drop me a line. I am not rushing at this, nor making a business out of it, rather its a hobby item to do in the evenings when its dark outside. My only goal is to help others who need an engine and recoup my costs to put back into the next engine.
OHH and the head to the left of the engine is not mine, its a friends who has left it with me to get some work done, new valve guides and unleaded seats if possible. Its a Blydenstein GT head off Blydenstein own car now less!! so very special to its present owner.